Thursday 12 February 2009

Analyse this

This is venturing into geeky territory but it's good stuff for knowing what's happening in me when I eat.

The idea is that when I eat and take my insulin shot the insulin tries to get the energy into the cells (or liver or somewhere) and out of the blood stream at the same rate as the sugar is entering your blood during digestion.

It works something like this
  1. I inject insulin
  2. I eat more or less straight after
  3. The sugar starts to be broken down and begins to be absorbed into the blood
  4. The insulin starts to be absorbed into the bloodstream
  5. The insulin works to get the sugar from my blood into my cells
In an ideal world the insulin would be acting on the sugar in my blood at the same rate as the sugar is entering my blood, but this is rare.

Typically with meals involving a fair amount of carbohydrate, the sugar will get to your blood at a faster rate than the insulin can get the sugar into your cells.

If the digestion rate is faster than the insulin absorption rate, like this, my blood sugar will start to rise. The further my sugar levels rise, the less ideal the balance.

Of course, different foods have different sugar absorption rates. High GI foods get absorbed quickly, low GI foods are absorbed more slowly. GI means glycaemic index which essenially means how quickly the sugar in different foods are absorbed into the blood.

So how can you measure the balance?
To measure whether your insulin is reacting fast enough to cope with the sugar absorption, you can test yourself after meals. Two hours after meals is thought to be the point at which your blood sugar levels are likely to be at their highest after eating.

So it makes sense to take a sugar reading just before eating and a reading or two 1 to 3 hours after eating.

So how did I do?
Here's my sugar level readings from the last few days


0 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22
10 5.8







7.4 4.1 6.2
11



4.8 7.9 4.7 5.2
7
8.5
12



4.7
8.4 4.3
5.5 3.2

Evening meal analysis
On the 10th I had pasta for evening meal with half a glass of orange juice.

7.4 at 18:11 just before eating
4.1 at 20:10
2.4 at 21:16 (I ate sweets to get levels back up to a normal level)
6.2 at 23:37

This shows two things.

I probably took too much insulin for my evening meal (as my levels went significantly below 4.0)
The pasta at this time of day isn't causing my sugar levels to jump up - a very healthy situation

Breakfast analysis
On the 11th I had mini-shredded wheats for breakfast with skimmed milk

4.8 at 09:13 just before eating
7.9 at 10:33
4.7 at 12:45

This shows I'm taking the right insulin for breakfast.
It also shows that my breakfast is being absorbed a bit quicker than my insulin can keep up with.

Why are the levels going up between meals?
My shredded wheats are probably not too dissimilar in GI to the pasta I have at tea time. I would expect the sugar in the shredded wheats to be absorbed about as quickly as the pasta.

However, I think there is another reason that is causing the raised sugar levels. It's a phenomen which I've seen referred to as 'the dawn phenomenon' in Dr Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution' book. The idea is that in the morning hours, just after one wakes up and for about 2 to 3 hours after, the insulin is less effective at lowering blood sugar levels. The insulin is slightly impaired.

This would offer a good explanation for why my sugar levels are raising a few points up to a couple of hours after eating breakfast.

What can you do?
As far as I can think tonight, there are two main options available
  • try to eat less carbohydrate (sugar) by choosing a lower-carb breakfast
  • try to eat a lower GI breakfast
I don't really want to change my breakfast as it is already fairly low GI, quick and easy to make, and a cheap option too.

However, I may be able to lower the GI of the breakfast if I switch to using full fat milk instead of skimmed milk.

I am told that having fat with a meal can slow down the absorption of the sugar, so it's worth a go. I'll give it a go next week and see if it helps at all.

Where from here?
I'll spare the lunch analysis but it is along similar lines.

So now I've got an idea of how good these particular meals get absorbed and how well the insulin works against them.

If I were to analyse each relatively regular meal I have I would be in a very good position to control my levels really well. That's the ultimate goal.

As a bonus, the results I've been getting this week have been really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment